15.7.14

creative flashback: tie-dye

Tie-dye, a relief dyeing technique. It is hugely associated with the 1960s but has been used for centuries, all over the world. The technique is forever in and out of popularity and there's an apparent revival on the internet at present. It's popped up more than a few times on my Pinterest feed recently.
I was first introduced to tie-dye at school. It was a project that cropped up more than a couple of times. I was in total awe of the whole process, the mixing of the dyes, how the colours blended together on the fabric and the effects created simply by folding and tying fabric. 

But... the pure magic of the whole technique had to be the element of surprise, the never quite knowing what your going to get and the big reveal at the end of the process. This is, for sure, still the part I love most of all. My excitement, as I snipped the rubber bands away from these canvas bags, was verging on the ridiculous.  
Apparently, coral is one of my current favourite colours and was the dye of choice for this Creative Flashback project. The dye would certainly have benefited from sitting a little longer but I got slightly worried by just how bright it was and, in truth, a little too impatient to see the results.

Indigo is proving popular with the technique and is incredibly effective. There is a really good example here and this bleach tie-dye technique looks really interesting.

For further tie-dye inspiration, take a look at this tie-dyed bedding and for a more natural look, here's how to make natural dyes (I'm definitely going to give this a go with William).
You can find last weeks Creative Flashback and more about what this series is all about here. Please do share your own creative childhood using #creativeflashback over on Twitter or Instagram.

What did you love making as a child?

20 comments:

  1. This post was so much fun to read and see the beautiful bag you created. I love the coral color and the soft shade you created. I'm sure it was so much fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm pleased you enjoyed it. Loved every second of it :)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try tie-dying but never been brave enough. I love the bag you've made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've done it since at school and I found it simple enough. Little tip, if you do give it a try, don't do it outside on a windy day... not the best idea I ever had ;)

      Delete
    2. I tie died my jeans in the 70s but they did not come out as lovely as your bag

      Delete
  3. your bags are amazing, love the tie-dye, I wanted to make a nap and I had scaring to put in the was machine, but when I saw your bag I want to make it! good job ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be pleased to know Eva, the load of washing that went in the washing machine straight after I did the tie-dye didn't turn a funny colour. Hope you will try it :)

      Delete
  4. I always wanted to buy a white bedding set and then tie dye it. My husband however doesn't see the fun side in it. My other idea was to buy plain white onesie for our son and then tie dye them in crazy patterns and colours. I actually managed to dye some of his onesies by mistake anyway because a dark item had snuck in the wash with the onesies :( doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, your comment has just made me laugh, thank you.You should so do the bedding, check out the link in my post it seriously looks amazing, not what you would expect.

      Delete
  5. Tie dye was quite popular in the 90's, and I had loads of it! Usually brightly coloured tie dyed t-shirts, with a dolphin motif on it somewhere, cool!
    I don't remember it looking this good though, love this colour too! I may have to have my own wee tie dye revival, I would love to try this!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! You are so right. It was around the same time that everybody was wearing neon green and pink socks, what was that all about?!

      Delete
  6. I remember tie dying as a child with my mum. Love your bag you have created :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in tie dye as a grunge obsessed teenager, and still think it looks fab for sarongs and things like your beautiful bag.

    #TMMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bags. The coral is so very subtle; I can totally see why you're smitten with it. I also like how you've photographed them with the wild grasses for background. Nice one! All the best, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought to do tie-dye bags, they look fantastic! #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhh this one turned out really nice! i love the squarish effect! #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh i remember making this as a child! We ve been having our own #creativeflashback this week as well making fuzzy felt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow. I love it. Not done this in forever. Might be fun with kids over the summer. I used love batik at school. And Lino printing. Visiting from #mmwbp

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to tie dye a lot (!) when I was studying textiles at college back in the 90's, haven't tie dyed a thing since but may have to give it a go sometime soon :)

    #HandmadeMonday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh tie dye, a creation of the late 80s/early 90s! I used to LOVE my tie dye tee in my younger years. Haha! What lovely bags you created! Thanks so much for linking up with #MMWBH xx

    ReplyDelete